What is well-being?
The state of feeling healthy and happy.
What does that mean for you?
- feeling good
- having a sense of vitality
- doing things which you enjoy and which matter to you
- having the inner resources to cope when things go wrong
- having supportive relationships
- taking care of your physical health
How to maintain or improve your well-being
The most up to date evidence says that building these 5 things in to your daily life is important in maintaining or improving well-being.
connect… with the people around you
- join a group
- speak to someone instead of sending an email
- meet up with your friends and family
be active… every day in as many ways as you can
- walk instead of taking the bus or car
- take the stairs instead of the lift
- get busy in the garden
take notice… be curious, appreciate the beauty of nature
- notice and appreciate the changing seasons
- hear the birdsong
- savour the time spent with friends and family
keep learning… pick up an old interest, try something new
- register for an evening class
- read a book on a new subject
- read the newspapers
give… do something nice for someone
- compliment someone
- give your time
More detailed advice is available here